All You Need To Know About Mixing CBD And Alcohol
Picture this: you're at a trendy bar and notice a new cocktail on the menu with CBD-infused ingredients. But wait, is it safe to mix cannabidiol (CBD) and alcohol? Fret not! This comprehensive guide will explain everything you need to know about combining these two substances.
In this article, we'll cover the science behind CBD and alcohol interactions, the potential effects and risks, and provide some tips for responsible consumption.
Interested in trying CBD without the alcohol? Shop BATCH for organic, non-GMO oils, gummies, softgels, and topicals that you can incorporate into your busy lifestyle.
What Is CBD?
CBD is a natural compound found in the hemp plant. It belongs to a group of chemicals known as cannabinoids, which include THC - the primary psychoactive compound in cannabis.
Unlike THC, CBD doesn't produce a "high," making it a popular choice for those seeking potential benefits without the psychoactive effects.
CBD interacts with the human endocannabinoid system, which plays a role in mood, sleep, appetite, and pain regulation. In fact, research has shown that CBD may have potential therapeutic properties for a range of conditions, including anxiety, depression, chronic pain, and inflammation. (1)
You can consume CBD in various forms, including oils, gummies, softgels, and topicals, making it easy to incorporate into your daily routine.
What Is The Result Of Mixing CBD And Alcohol?
While there's limited research on the effects of mixing CBD and alcohol, studies suggest that CBD and alcohol may intensify each other's effects when consumed together.
One study, in particular, found that individuals who consumed 200 mg of CBD alongside 1 gram of alcohol experienced significant impairments in their motor performance and perception of time compared to those who only consumed CBD. (2)
That being said, there’s other research out there that suggests the opposite, as we’ll discover below.
Effect Of CBD On Alcohol
Several studies suggest that CBD may have some potential benefits when it comes to reducing the harmful effects of alcohol.
For example, one study found that CBD helped decrease brain-cell damage in rats caused by excessive alcohol consumption. (3)
Another study conducted on alcohol-addicted rats found that CBD helped reduce their alcohol intake and prevented relapse. (4)
While more research is needed to determine whether CBD can have similar effects on humans, these findings suggest that CBD may have the potential to mitigate some of the adverse effects of alcohol on the human body.
How Long Should I Wait To Drink Alcohol After Taking CBD?
To minimize potential risks, it's generally advised to wait at least four hours after taking CBD before drinking alcohol. This allows the CBD to take effect and reduces the chance of compounding alcohol's impact.
Similarly, wait at least four hours after drinking alcohol before taking CBD. This gives your body time to metabolize the alcohol and lowers the likelihood of CBD's effects being amplified by the alcohol still in your system.
However, it's worth noting that the specific timeframe may vary depending on individual factors such as weight, metabolism, and the dosage of CBD and alcohol consumed. It's always wise to start with small doses of both substances and observe how your body reacts before increasing the dosage.
It's also recommended to consult with a healthcare professional before mixing CBD and alcohol, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking medication.
Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol While Using CBD?
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), mixing these two substances can significantly increase the effects of both drugs. CBD is known for its calming and relaxing properties, while alcohol is a depressant that slows down the central nervous system.
Mixing the two can cause an amplified effect that can potentially lead to increased drowsiness, impaired coordination, and an increased risk of accidents or falls. (5)
Where Can I Buy Quality CBD Products?
When it comes to finding quality CBD products, look no further than BATCH! We're a reputable company that specializes in crafting high-quality CBD products that are specifically designed to help you live a better, healthier life.
All our products are made using organic, non-GMO hemp that we grow right here in Wisconsin and are rigorously tested for purity, potency, and effectiveness. Our product line includes a range of CBD oils, gummies, softgels, and topicals, so you can find the right product to fit your individual needs.
Plus, we offer free delivery for orders over $25 and a 30-day free return policy. We stand behind the quality of our products and want our customers to feel confident in their purchases.
Shop with us today and experience the BATCH difference!
CBD and alcohol are two known substances that impact the human body in different ways. And while there's limited research on the effects of combining these two substances, it's best to exercise caution and consume them responsibly.
Remember to always seek professional medical advice before mixing CBD and alcohol and to consume quality CBD products from a reputable source like BATCH to ensure the best possible experience. Not only do we offer high-quality, all-natural CBD products, but also prioritize transparency and accuracy in our testing and labeling to provide you with the peace of mind you need when consuming CBD.
So, don’t waste more time searching for the perfect CBD products - shop today at BATCH and reap the full benefits of high-quality CBD!
Want to learn more about CBD and its potential benefits? Check out these articles:
- CBD Cream For Pain: How to use CBD for Pain Relief
- Get A Good Night's Rest With The Best CBD Oil Products For Sleep
- CBD Skin Care: How to Take Care Of Your Skin With CBD Products
- Rapin, L., Gamaoun, R., El Hage, C., Arboleda, M. F., & Prosk, E. (2021, June 23). Cannabidiol use and effectiveness: Real-world evidence from a Canadian Medical Cannabis Clinic. Journal of cannabis research. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8223341/.
- LA;, C. P. C. E. A. Z. A. P. L. (n.d.). Interaction of cannabidiol and alcohol in humans. Psychopharmacology. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/120541/.
- K;, L. D. J. H. D. C. S. A. L. N. (n.d.). Transdermal delivery of cannabidiol attenuates binge alcohol-induced neurodegeneration in a rodent model of an alcohol use disorder. Pharmacology, biochemistry, and behavior. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24012796/.
- Gonzalez-Cuevas, G., Martin-Fardon, R., Kerr, T. M., Stouffer, D. G., Parsons, L. H., Hammell, D. C., Banks, S. L., Stinchcomb, A. L., & Weiss, F. (2018, September). Unique treatment potential of cannabidiol for the prevention of relapse to drug use: Preclinical proof of principle. Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6098033/.
- Commissioner, O. of the. (n.d.). What to know about products containing cannabis and CBD. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/what-you-need-know-and-what-were-working-find-out-about-products-containing-cannabis-or-cannabis.
- Shannon, S., Lewis, N., Lee, H., & Hughes, S. (2019). Cannabidiol in anxiety and sleep: A large case series. The Permanente journal. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6326553/.
- Yang, L., Rozenfeld, R., Wu, D., Devi, L. A., Zhang, Z., & Cederbaum, A. (2014, March). Cannabidiol protects liver from binge alcohol-induced steatosis by mechanisms including inhibition of oxidative stress and increase in autophagy. Free radical biology & medicine. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4112960/.
Does CBD help with alcohol?
While more research is needed to fully understand the effects of CBD on alcohol consumption, some studies suggest that CBD may have some potential benefits when it comes to reducing the harmful effects of alcohol. (3) (4)
That being said, other studies point to CBD as a substance that can enhance the effects of alcohol. It’s best to avoid combining the two if possible so as to enjoy the effects of either one alone.
How much CBD do I put in a drink?
The amount of CBD that should be added to a drink can vary depending on factors such as the individual's tolerance, the strength of the CBD product, and the desired effects. It is important to start with a low dose and gradually increase as needed.
However, it is not recommended to mix CBD with alcohol as it may amplify the effects and cause adverse reactions. (2)
Does drinking CBD help you relax?
Drinking CBD may have relaxing effects, as CBD has been reported to have calming and anti-anxiety properties. (6)
Does CBD have side effects on the liver?
There is limited research on the effects of CBD on the liver, and more research is needed to fully understand potential risks. However, animal studies suggest that CBD could help protect the liver from damage caused by alcohol. (7)
What is the healthiest way to use CBD?
The healthiest way to use CBD is to follow the recommended dosage on the product label and to consult a healthcare professional before using CBD, especially if you have any underlying medical conditions or take medications.